Saturday, July 21, 2012

Please, help me drown these memories.


Am freaked out by hollers heard from another unit (with noises as if hard objects are being thrown around). Twas a male voice yelling madly at whoever. Can't understand what he's saying, though it's loud enough to be understood. Think he's speaking another language. Since the place is infested invaded by Koreans, am assuming he's one. But, boy, am becoming frantic about it. Could be just my wild imagination (or too much violence viewed today?). Anyhow, am seriously affected. If am not just feeling sluggish I could've shut all the windows close. But, I am. heh  ^_^

My mind's actively playing scenes...am imagining that there could be murder going on, which started from a petty(?) quarrel, and the suspect starts looking for an escape (after realizing the wicked thing he has committed) and decides to take the ledge to get to another unit through an open window or something. And that window happens to be ...mine. Gosh! Would I still be too bone lazy if that should be the case?

I wish my body were as active as my wild mental image!

Witnessing one felony done (thanks to FB!) couldn't be too much, or is't? I think certain regulations must already be carried out pertaining to the use of the Internet and shouldn't be left to individual discretion alone. Cause...really...there's a battle going on in my head even-just-right-now. One pull is blaming irresponsibly posted vid and another pull is off base circumspection.  So, it could either be someone else's mistake or mine. And I can't be too pharisaic to choose the pull which gets me off the hook now. I know I have my share of misstep. Am not denying that. THINK before you CLICK. That's loud and clear. But, I can't just tell the unsuspecting me how wrong I was for clicking that view button now that it caused me paranoia.

ME @ me: It's your fault! How can you be so thoughtless like that?! Now blame whoever posted that horrifying video. Blame the entire www for its recklessness!  Then, get over it and throw that video tape inside your head outside the window. Whoever gets hit with it! 

me @ ME: Can't you consider even just a lil that I was only unsuspecting? *sniffs* Whoever would've thought a crime act caught on video could go around freely as if it's NOTHING?!

ME @ me: ...

me @ ME:  *sighs*

I've learned what I needed to. But, I think the price I gotta pay is way too much. It's not really out of total negligence nor utter stupidity, y'know.  It's just like ...you ride a bus, unsuspecting, just wanting to reach your destination in one piece then something happens. Could be what recently happened to a friend (sat beside a presentable looking man, who turned out to be a malefactor!) or could be a freak accident. What am saying is, how can one be too leery at all times not to trip over anything along the road?!  It's not like am just champing at the bit for juicy scoops!    

Guess all am saying is not everything is for everyone. Internet is already made accessible to any human being regardless of age, education...blah blah blah. And how dangerous ANYONE can just cause panic, outrage, intimidation, distress and what-have-you.  Come to think of it, unlike television, radio, and print... Internet has greater number of INTERACTIVE users and it's WITHOUT censorship! Goodness. How many times have someone been killed by someone? Just a few hours ago, a friend from S'pore re-posted a link  to the details of Mariah Carey's tragic death! I googled it believing that I can get a more reliable information from Fox, CNN, BBC, MSN or whichever trusty news services there is. Come on now! Mariah is a big name so there should be something. THERE IS NONE. I didn't have to exhaust effort to try another search. It's NOTHING but HOAX!   

Internet is an eminently powerful tool. Am confident everyone is aware of this. It is being used to destroy any person, nowadays. People driven by strong emotions can just harm another with any object (s)he can reach with his/er hands.  And, through Internet, one doesn't need to be in front of the person they're so angry at to inflict danger.  Havoc is simply employable with but ONE CLICK.  Like what a friend said, "it is not anymore just a privilege but a birthright".  It is made available even to people without PROPER discretion.  Made me think... you won't really hand a knife or any deadly weapon to a murderer, would you? And, I believe this is exactly what I mean when I said "not everything is for everyone"

This same friend emphasized enough what makes Internet dreadfully powerful. It's because of people like ME. Freedom of expression. Liberty for people to voice out concerns.  Exactly what am doing now.  Therefore, I must not complain?!  No. Power when given to the wrong person is highly perilous. It's not like am inciting sedition now or something.  I believe it is easy to tell "giving public awareness" from plainly  "causing terror".  It's easy to tell "sincere concern" from "selfish motive".  I firmly believe that it's about time to incorporate censorship in the use of the Internet. And, am not alarmed whatsoever should anything be implemented. Only criminals won't approve of laws.  In fact, "people sinned even before the law was given. But it was not counted as sin because there was not yet any law to break." (Romans 5:13, NLT) "...the law is made not for the righteous but for lawbreakers..." (1 Timothy 1:9)


It is next to impossible what am trying to suggest, I know. How can you control something as far-ranging as this? In fact, even there's prison, even when there was execution by electrocution, then later on lethal injection... felons are still everywhere. But, at least, NOT out of hand. At least, if there's law, cyber crime will be under control. If there's a clearly defined rule or standard, people have something to be guarded about. I mean, hello now! It can't be just parental guidance, anymore.  Parents can't be following and watching what their children do with the Net all the time. That's why there's "GOVERNMENT".  And, from Wikipedia, "the word government is derived from the Latin infinitive gubernare, meaning "to govern" or "to manage"." Concerns as wide-ranging as this one needs a bigger body than just parental (nor self) authority.  Nuf said.


1 comment:

  1. Censorship is a touchy topic since we live in a democratic country, but sometimes, people cross the boundaries of what should be broadcasted - think of web versions of tabloids, or blogs kindling hate for certain people/groups. How does one censor it - how can we police all this data meaningfully? A large taskforce might be needed, but logistics aside, everything can be subject to interpretation and abuse. That is why any robust cyber law should be well-written to cover loopholes, and still be flexible enough to protect people. But a big part of this is accountability for what was written - having the real identities of people open makes them more compliant, as compared to when they are anonymous. Nameless people can do what they want. They'd be more careful if they can't hide under pseudonyms. Then again, here I am posting under a pseudonym.. hehe! Just sharing..

    ReplyDelete

✎✐✎✐✎✐✎✐✎✐✎✐✎✐✎✐✎✐✎✐✎✐✎✐✎✐✎✐✎✐✎✐✎✐✎✐✎✐

A Love with a promise of permanence.

"...if any hear MY voice and open the door,  I will come into their house and eat with them,  and they will eat with ME." ...

✎✐✎✐✎✐✎✐✎✐✎✐✎✐✎✐✎✐✎✐✎✐✎✐✎✐✎✐✎✐✎✐✎✐✎✐✎✐