Wednesday, August 4, 2010

"Our only business is to love & delight ourselves in God."


What we need to understand is that we're created to do good (Ephesians 2:10). We are commanded to consider others better than ourselves (Philippians 2:3). Our walk should not be influenced by selfishness. Otherwise, we'll find the 2nd greatest commandment -- 'Love your neighbor as yourself' -- hard to do.

Growing up, I thought I have already learned and actually practicing selflessness. I exerted so much effort following the things the Bible clearly instructs people must do. I found it easy, actually. Not for anything but I recently realized why -- I was less selfish when I was younger. Obeying was like taking candy from a baby. Trusting was effortless. I trusted that all what my parents commanded are beneficial for me without asking questions. So, there's almost always no hesitancy or refusal to follow. Whenever I felt I wasn't getting what I deserve, twas still easy as one-two-three to obey. Hafta be real honest, though... maybe, twas easy before because I knew there's nothing that I can do. I was powerless and under their authority. They have the last say, anyway. But, thing is, there's complete SURRENDER. That's the difference between the then and now.

Matthew 18:3 teaches us to "become like little children". Children have such humility and obedience. Give them instructions and they will follow. Sometimes, they'd question, but, they'd still obey. They also have desires. They're bounded by rules. They can't always get what they want. They're limited to what the older people tell them to do. They always have to ask and often, the answer's NO or NOT YET. They'd throw tantrum, but in the end, they'll surrender.

I believe, this should also be our attitude. Yes, we may have our own desires. We think we know what's good for us. We're capable. We're knowledgeable. We're not anymore babies or children. But, there's still a need for us to exhibit humility. All of us should acknowledge that GOD has a grand plan for us. HE is inviting us to obey because HE knows what's best for us. HE alone understands what HE wants for our lives. Proverbs 3:7 tells us, "Do not be wise in your own eyes; fear the LORD and shun evil." There are lotsa things we think are just OK. But, they're not in GOD's eyes. There is a way that seems right to a man, but in the end it leads to death (Proverbs 14:12).

We can never learn to surrender unless we start becoming selfless. Without us setting aside our self-trust that we're this and that good... we have achieved so much, we can earn this much...blah blah blah. We have to have an attitude of humility before GOD. That HE is our all. That HIS Word is life. Like little children, we have to forget ourselves and trust our Father who is the author of our life and provider of our needs. Unless we understand our nothingness apart from HIM, we'll never experience the kind of life GOD promises to give us.

I hope to be that child again who trusts GOD and people. Denying myself, my wants, my desires to give way to what GOD has in store for me. "If anyone would come after me, he must deny himself and take up his cross daily and follow me." (Luke 9:23) May this verse be real in my life for my soul's sake.









No comments:

Post a Comment

✎✐✎✐✎✐✎✐✎✐✎✐✎✐✎✐✎✐✎✐✎✐✎✐✎✐✎✐✎✐✎✐✎✐✎✐✎✐

A Love with a promise of permanence.

"...if any hear MY voice and open the door,  I will come into their house and eat with them,  and they will eat with ME." ...

✎✐✎✐✎✐✎✐✎✐✎✐✎✐✎✐✎✐✎✐✎✐✎✐✎✐✎✐✎✐✎✐✎✐✎✐✎✐