Saturday, December 23, 2006

It's just like a new pair of underwear. At first it's constricting, then it becomes a part of you.


"Commitment is the true test of love. If you want to have loving relationships, you must be committed to loving relationships. When you are committed to someone or something, quitting is never an option. Commitment distinguishes a fragile relationship from a strong one."

Can you commit? Getting into a relationship is not a joke. It entails responsibility and commitment. It entails a lot more than we can imagine. So decide wisely.

...But how can we tell if we are already facing a loving relationship?

The above statement is posted on My Lot as a comment on a rather fragile topic. I am never liberal when it comes to things that involve relationships, love, life and many others. But I do keep an open mind about certain matters. And I even defy my own rules. I have given some things a thought, maybe. Not that I am trying to provide reasons for things, of course. Some things are worth the try.

The topic was about living in with someone before marriage. I don't believe in living in with someone. I won't even go for it. But I would be too self-righteous to say, I won't ever do it. Who knows? Yes, I have a very strong hold on my conviction but I can't still be too certain. Just why are people resolving to it (live in)? Because it's practical. Unlike the old household problems where the wives put up with their domineering husbands... having the "live in" option gives them all the right to just leave the bastards. The battered wives won't have to bear all the physical and emotional tortures anymore only because they try to cling to their vows or because they want their families in tact. Same case with the husbands. With living in, men can just opt out. Say, they find something wrong with their women or they suddenly realised that they can't put up with naggers or something. Who wouldn't choose that option where you can easily just get away with things, right?

By saying these things, I am not really listing down reasons why live in can be good or acceptable. The bottom line here is people lack the maturity needed to come up with the right decisions. They cannot commit. I mean, yes, it is so easy to fall in love with anyone who almost has the qualities one can ever look for in a partner. But then again, it takes a lifetime to really get to know someone. In truth, we haven't seen yet. The friend you have spent 10 years with may still be a stranger. There's still a lot of things you don't know about him. My point is, discovering bad things about your partner should not be a reason to want to leave him/her. Falling in love with someone (moreso, marrying someone) entails many things like acceptance, patience and understanding. When you commit to someone like what the statement above says, you have to forget about the word "quit". It must never come out of your mouth. Commitment plays a very vital role in any relationship and I believe no relationship could ever remain strong without it. Link

No comments:

Post a Comment

✎✐✎✐✎✐✎✐✎✐✎✐✎✐✎✐✎✐✎✐✎✐✎✐✎✐✎✐✎✐✎✐✎✐✎✐✎✐

A Love with a promise of permanence.

"...if any hear MY voice and open the door,  I will come into their house and eat with them,  and they will eat with ME." ...

✎✐✎✐✎✐✎✐✎✐✎✐✎✐✎✐✎✐✎✐✎✐✎✐✎✐✎✐✎✐✎✐✎✐✎✐✎✐